About This Site
Explore AI Ethics is a curated directory of educational resources for teaching and learning about the ethics of artificial intelligence. Organized and searchable by both topic and category, each page contains either a short excerpt from the resource, a press release, a video, or in cases where permission has been granted, the full text. The View Resource button provides a convenient link back to the original content. Your contributions and comments are always welcome. Please use the Contact Form to send feedback or suggest a resource.
Risks, Benefits and Responsible AI
From healthcare to warfare, the rapid embrace of artificial intelligence in nearly every sector of society is raising important legal, social and ethical concerns. The potential benefits of this powerful technology are enormous. But so are the risks. In order to create a future that will maximize the benefits and minimize the risks, we need to be informed and involved.
- Teachers need an awareness of how AI intersects with their discipline and a curriculum to explain the ethical issues to students.
- Technology teams need tools to help them develop AI software that is safe, trustworthy and transparent.
- Citizens and lawmakers need guidelines to help them engage in an educated discussion about public policy for AI.
Explore AI Ethics provides a small sampling of the wide range of materials available to help you understand, practice and promote the responsible use of artificial intelligence.
AI for Good Algorithms Bias Big Data Creativity Economics Emotions Engagement Environment Funding Gender Governance Healthcare Higher Ed Human Rights K-12 Law Military Neuroscience Philosophy Privacy Professionalism Psychology Religion Responsible AI Risk Science Fiction Sexuality Social Media Society Teaching Transportation
Articles Books Code of Ethics Conference Papers Curriculum Discussions Documentaries Events Guidelines Journals Lectures Movies News Online Courses Organizations Podcasts Projects Reports Student Papers Tools Websites
In the Spotlight
Moral Code: The Ethics of AI
Mini-documentary produced by Hewlett-Packard
June 29, 2018 | Runtime 8 minutes
Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms: Pros and Cons
Mini-documentary by DW Documentary
September 26, 2019 | Runtime 51 minutes
Machine Learning: Living in the Age of AI
Mini-documentary produced Wired Magazine
June 20, 2019 | Runtime 41 minutes
- Documentary — PBS Frontline: In the Age of AI
- News — The term ‘ethical AI’ is finally starting to mean something
- Book — A Human Algorithm: How Artificial Intelligence Is Redefining Who We Are
- Project — The Privacy Project, a New York Times Series of news articles and videos
- Book — The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power
For Policy Makers
- Documentary — Artificial Intelligence and its Ethics
- Report — 2019 AI Now
- Guideline — IEEE: Ethically Aligned Design – A Vision for Prioritizing Human Well-being with Autonomous and Intelligent Systems, v2
- Tool — Democratising Decisions About Technology: A Toolkit
- News — The First Effort to Regulate AI Was a Spectacular Failure
- Conference Paper — “This is Just a Prototype”: How Ethics Are Ignored in Software Startup-Like Environments
- Lecture — AI, Ethics and Algorithms
- Book — The Ethical Algorithm: The Science of Socially Aware Algorithm Design
- News — The Code I’m Still Ashamed Of
- Lecture — Expecting Professionalism
- Organization — Center for Humane Technology
For Teachers – Higher Ed
- Book — Robot-Proof: Higher Education in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
- Curriculum — Princeton Dialogues on AI and Ethics
- Articles — Embedded EthiCS: Integrating Ethics Across CS Education – Harvard University
- Project — Global Responsible Computer Science Community of Practice
- Organization — Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Science
- Conference Paper — What Do We Teach When We Teach Tech Ethics? A Syllabi Analysis
For Teachers – K-12
- Lecture — K-12 Guidelines for Artificial Intelligence: What Students Should Know
- Report — Artificial Intelligence and Emerging Technologies in Schools
- News — Teaching Artificial Intelligence in Kindergarten
- Curriculum — An Ethics of Artificial Intelligence Curriculum for Middle School Students
- Curriculum — Minecraft Hour of Code: AI for Good – Use Coding to Prevent Forest Fires
- Website — AI4K12.org
- Documentary — Who is Manipulating YouTube, Twitter and Facebook?
- Book — WTF? What’s the Future and Why It’s Up to Us
- Project — Moral Machine Experiment
- Book — Frankenstein: Annotated for Scientists, Engineers, and Creators of All Kinds
- Tool — People + AI Guidebook
- Online Course — University of Michigan: Data Science Ethics
- Online Course — Machine Learning Crash Course: Fairness
The Ethical OS Toolkit
A guide to anticipating the future impact of today’s technology
Or: How not to regret the things you will build
The Ethical Operating System is a toolkit that guides you through the process of assessing the ethical implications of products that use artificial intelligence. It is a joint creation of the Institute for the Future and Omidyar Network’s Tech and Society Solutions Lab. This 78 page document includes:
- A checklist of 8 risk zones to help you identify the emerging areas of risk and social harm most critical for your team to start considering now.
- 14 scenarios to spark conversation and stretch your imagination about the long-term impacts of tech you’re building today.
- 7 future-proofing strategies to help you take ethical action today.