Online Course delivered through edX. Learn how individuals and organizations can utilize and regulate blockchain, AI, and other FinTech solutions to ensure their adoption does not come at the expense of societal growth.
FinTech has started a global revolution in the financial services industry, and the transformation will only increase in coming years. There are many ways in which FinTech can improve the lives of people around the world; however, those same technologies can also be used to enslave, coerce, track, and control people. Accordingly, it is appropriate and necessary to consider the implications of the introduction of these technologies so that they are utilized properly, regulated sufficiently, and their adoption does not come at the expense of societal growth.
This 6-week online course covers 6 modules, representing the full spectrum of finance, technology, and the introduction of FinTech solutions globally. We will ask questions that are not often asked or addressed when new technologies are adopted. Why should we adopt FinTech solutions, and what are the best ways to introduce disruptive technologies? How does blockchain technology change the way we provide financial services, and how should blockchain technology be governed? Is FinTech creating risks in cybersecurity and how can technology help us prevent financial crimes? As Artificial Intelligence (AI) is developed and adopted, will human biases and prejudices be built into such mechanisms? And at a larger scope, should FinTech lead to a decentralized, democratized system of finance, or will existing institutions adopt FinTech strategies to cement their existing hold on the financial markets?
Through discussing and attempting to answer these questions, you will understand better how the introduction of these technologies can benefit or harm society. And through considering the proper application or introduction of such technologies, you will learn to make better decisions as an individual and organization when facing the question: is FinTech our savior or a villain?
What you’ll learn
- Understand the ethical elements of finance, emerging technologies, and FinTech.
- Identify trends and opportunities that will shape the future of FinTech.
- Critically examine implications of Artificial Intelligence (AI), blockchain and cryptocurrencies (including ICOs).
- Understand how Regulatory Technology (RegTech) enhances supervision and reduces compliance-related costs.
- Understand how payment solutions are evolving and the potential ethical implications.
- Understand how alternative financing, including crowdfunding and P2P lending, are impacting markets.
- Analyze positive and negative aspects of the introduction and expansion of FinTech.